Friday, February 12, 2016

Just My Luck

So January had seen my productivity and available time spent for hobby increase dramatically, with me not only getting multiple projects modeled, but notes, plans, and pieces collected to start on other projects as well.

I had finished the modelling on the AmmoBunker's January modelling challenge, with my Servo Magos (a figure I'm still immensely happy with), as well as bringing a project for the Brothers-Wier to almost 100% completion.

And then the hammer dropped.

For those following the blog, you may have noticed that I haven't posted for almost an entire month. Unfortunately, I sustained an injury that has brought pretty much everything to a grinding halt.

As I was working on all of the various projects, I started having some pain in my lower back and hip, that I thought was simply a pulled muscle. Over the next couple of weeks the pain increased daily until I finally had to see a doctor when on the final day I could no loner walk or stand up straight from severe pain. As it would turn out, somehow I had popped a joint in my pelvis and had been walking around for two weeks on a dislocated hip - specifically the SI Joint, which connects the hip to the tail bone assembly. What that means in practical terms is that it's excruciating to sit, stand, walk, lift anything, or do anything that makes life tolerable. Even lying on my back can send me into paralyzing spasms. What it also means is that the dislocated joint is prone to irritating the Sciatic nerve bundle that runs across it and down the length of the leg, making it feel like the muscles are being lit on fire and electrified at the same time as your bones are being beaten with a 10lb sledge. Fun stuff.

How is that possible? Well, I've grown up for most of my life doing farm work, construction, wrestled all throughout high school (breaking a rib and leg as a result), and am generally a tough and stubborn SOB who dislikes going to the doctor, and have grown accustomed to working through pain and writing off minor injuries. So, yeah...two weeks walking with a hip out of joint. I have no idea how it happened, but apparently it's more common than you would think for people who sit at a desk for long periods of time - something that I do in the other half of my daily life with office work and writing, and of course, hobby (a cautionary tale for all of us who spend too much time at the hobby desk).

So, I got the joint popped back into place and started taking a large course of anti-inflammatory and pain medication. Flash forward a week and a half later to this morning, and I'm back at square one with having to go back to doctor to have the joint put back in to place AGAIN. Frankly, I know I pushed myself too hard during the first recovery, so the blame rests fully on my shoulders for the relapse. I hate the concept of not being able to do anything and being a burden on those around me, so I know I generally did all of the things I shouldn't have, way too soon.

The Doc had to put the joint back into place twice (TWICE) this morning, and now I'm on an even stronger course of medicine to help with pain and recovery, and I'm essentially on near-bedrest for at least the next two weeks. Oh, and possible physical therapy for some time afterwards. Great.

I'm beside myself that after taking so long to get momentum back into a lot of things in my life (including hobby stuff) after the cross-country move, that now I'm completely stalled yet again. Really, pissed to no end.

Anyway, this isn't some boo-hoo, "looking for sympathy" thing, but for those few of you who follow the blog, I felt like I owed some kind of explanation. As soon as I can sit comfortably again for any real length of time, and my mind isn't totally fogged by strong drugs, I'm going to get back to the hobby stuff, and really try to get things here back on track for the year.

I hope you'll stick with me. Thanks for reading.

8 comments:

  1. Wow, that is quite some bad luck... I am glad you were able to see a doctor and get it properly diagnosed though. I am sure you will be back to normal soon, and you can get back to your life as normal!

    Your Servo Magos is quite possibly my favorite conversion I have seen from the wraith model (a model that is quite heavily used in the 1nq28 community). So I cannot wait to see the next models you create, when you feel better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Eric, that means a lot. When I'm able, the first thing I'm going to finish is the last of the sculpting for the KD figure so I can get photos of the raw model to you guys.

      After that I have some very long-term modelling plans that will be very narrative-based. More of an actual story as told through figures and warbands, rather than figures simply given a backstory. I have two pretty in-depth stories to tell in this way, and I'm excited to get going on them. Of course, I also need to finish my excommunicated Servo-Mechanicus warband as well.

      Delete
  2. That is a pretty tough break to have all of your newfound productivity be slammed to a complete halt. As Eric has said, I am glad that you finally got the problem diagnosed, and that it looks like you will recover just fine (though not being able to do anything before that point has to be outrageously aggravating).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Greg. The support from you and your brothers has meant a lot. This community is one of the best I've been a part of and I'm hoping to dive back in as quickly as possible.

      Delete
  3. All the best mate. Look forward and stay positive and stay around in the community. Your comments and presence are always appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'll still be around, just not as much as I'd like. Even just looking around on forums, and making comments is pretty tiring right now, but I'll be around.

      Delete
  4. Take care old chap, we hobbyists are a patient kind. Health first ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. This entire hobby community circle that we're all a part of remains one of the healthiest and most supportive communities I've found, and it means a lot to me being a part of it. I'll be around in bits and pieces, and hopefully will be able to dive back in full-force quickly.

      Delete